Baskets are the earliest form of storage known to humankind, predating even pottery, and are still used today. Baskets can be made from many materials that are readily available around the world.
In Basket Case, baskets are used for early game item storage and transportation. The smallest baskets can be made without tools or crafting table. You can also use baskets decoratively.
Here are a variety of Basket Case’s baskets in different colors and sizes:
The coloring of bark-strip baskets and twig baskets might seem backwards at first. Remember that bark strips are the flexible inner bark of the tree after the brittle outer bark has been stripped away, so their color is the same as that of the tree’s wood. On the other hand, twigs are covered with thin, flexible bark that’s the same color as the rest of the bark on the tree. So twig baskets are colored like the tree’s bark.
Basket Case offers three sizes of basket—small, medium, and large—made from the appropriate size of wicker.
There are three basic types of basket, each made from a different type of wicker:
- Twig baskets (made from twig wicker)
- Bark baskets (made from bark wicker)
- Generic baskets (made from generic wicker)
Baskets can be made from each of the six vanilla tree types. All these varieties add up to 39 total baskets, depending on how you have configured Basket Case.
Small baskets can be crafted without a crafting table. Twig and bark baskets of medium and large size require the appropriate kind of bark strips to bind the wicker together.
Generic baskets of medium and large size require cordage to bind the wicker together. Basket Case supports any item registered as “cordage” to Forge’s OreDictionary. By default, that includes the following items:
Depending on how you’ve configured Primal Lib and Basket Case, some of these items may not be available as cordage. Twine is always available as cordage.
Baskets behave differently than chests and regular blocks:
- Placing a basket. Baskets can only be placed on solid flat surfaces. Hold a basket in your main hand and right click while targeting a block. The basket will be placed. You can also place a basket from your off-hand, as long as you aren’t holding a placeable block in your main hand.
- Picking up a basket. While sneaking, use (right click) the basket with an empty hand. The basket will drop into the world as an item.
- Destroying a basket. Break the basket without sneaking. The basket will be destroyed, and its contents will spill out into the world.
Storage. Baskets have a limited number of storage slots, and the slots have smaller stack sizes. (The stack sizes can be configured.)
|Basket||# of Slots||Max Stack Size||Max # of Items Held|
Baskets behave differently than other forms of storage:
- Opening a basket from your inventory. While holding a basket in your main hand, use it (right click) without targeting a block. Looking up at the sky is a good way to make sure you’re not targeting a block.
- Emptying a basket. While sneaking, break the basket. The basket will drop as an item, and its contents will spill out into the world.
Decoration. Baskets are a great piece of rustic decor. If desired, you can turn off their storage capacity completely, making them only useful for decoration.
In the config settings, baskets can be tweaked in the following ways:
- You can choose to prevent wood-specific baskets.
- If you prevent wood-specific baskets, only generic twigs and bark strips from Primal Lib will be present (if configured to be turned on in the Primal Lib config). Generic twigs and bark strips can still be crafted into wicker and baskets, but they will be generic wicker and baskets that look like oak.
- If you allow wood-specific baskets, then generic twigs, bark strips, and wicker will not be available. Instead, wood-specific twigs and bark strips will be present, which can be crafted into wood-specific baskets.
- You can choose to disallow small, medium, or large baskets. Doing so also prevents that size of wicker from being crafted. For example, if you disallow large baskets, then large wicker cannot be crafted.
- You can make baskets decorative only, so they can’t function as containers.
- You can specify the maximum stack size for items in each size of basket. The defaults are 16 for small baskets, 32 for medium, and 48 for large. The highest you can set the max stack size is 64.
- You can make it so baskets can be carried in your regular inventory. By default, baskets can only go in the hot bar. Either way, baskets can never be placed inside any other container (for example, you can’t put baskets in a chest).